Sppb 4 Disappointment - How To Download Latest V3.8 ? - Question | JoomShaper

Sppb 4 Disappointment - How To Download Latest V3.8 ?

dolmenhir

dolmenhir

SP Page Builder 2 weeks ago

There are updates that are not always very successful. Version 4 of SPPB is a perfect example. Under cover of progress and optimization, this extension loses a lot in simplicity and efficiency.

Among the many disappointments that are mine, that of not being able to edit the pages or the modules in the backend, whereas for me it was the fastest and most productive method in many situations. Now, I have to go through the frontend, and have to support an interface that has lost a lot of ergonomics. And that's not to mention what doesn't work, starting with the preview, which doesn't really work.

First, I try to edit a module with an image slideshow, but I have to work without seeing anything (no image preview, just a blank section). Second, the same module opened after many attempts lets me now view the content of the addon but I have also a preview above the addon, whereas I didn't need it or even ask for it.

In short, if you haven't understood it yet, I am extremely disappointed with this version 4 of SPPB. However, it is an extension that I have been using for many years on most of my customers' sites, and that I have very often defended against other competing extensions.

After being very disappointed by the disappointing developments of the HelixUltimate framework (which I am gradually replacing by Astroid) I think I will do the same with SPPB if the next updates do not correct all the errors and blunders that have been made.

In the meantime, I would like to know how to download the latest version of SPPB 3.8 because it is out of the question for me to continue with this poorly thought-out version 4.

32 Answers
CC
Christopher Collins
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

I couldn't agree more - I couldn't add anything to my pages with 4.0.3 and am still waiting to hear back. 3.8.8 is on the extension downloads page near the bottom.

dolmenhir
dolmenhir
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

Thanks for the info on v3.8.8 download link

L
lukelake
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

The previous version (3.x) was much more intuitive than the last (4.x). But I readed it's not possible to downgrade.

1. In version 3 all the tools were on the left column, good sorted, but now there are too many useless popups with information and settings positioned without any logic .... the settings are placed in different windows and this slows down the development work.
  2. The images are no longer responsive (addon decides the size of the image: 400x400px ... why ?? it was much better before when the images fit in the empty space).
  3. Drag and drop in media manager doesn't work in firefox.
  4. The responsiveness in the column settings does not work (the view does not change on tablet and mobile whatever value you enter. An example: the columns remain 6 + 6 even if set col-sm-12 in "layout tablet").

There are further aggravations but I am discovering them day by day during the development of the pages.

I completely agree with you, I loved SP Page Builder 3 so much but this version (4.0.4) is really terrible. If you find a good alternative please let me know.

L
lukelake
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

I was forgetting: why is there need to a previous page that says "get started"? it is not needed.

Furthermore the component opens a new window every time you click on "get started". Completely useless.

Karen Dunne
Karen Dunne
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

I'm joining this thread. I'm using SPPB on many sites and have for many years. But, I haven't moved to v4 yet. Just learning that there isn't a backend option is frightening. I never use the component on the front-end and would not want to. @dolmenhir made the same points I would have made.

Joomshaper: Is there a back-end option being developed for SPPB v.4?

K
Kieron
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

Totally agree ... PB4 is a shambles .... Hate it. I have just upgraded on one site ... big mistake! Setting up two new sites in the coming days and will be using PB3 for sure!

G
Ginius
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

Saying PB4 is shambles I would not say that. Everything has his advantage and disadvantage. @Joomshaper, can you give an answer on the following question that makes me a better decision to use SPPB?

1. What the feature will be for the SPPB v3? Is the plan that you want to support only version 4?
  2. Will there be a possibility that you only an edit the pages from the backend?
  3. What is the advantage and disadvantage to use fronted editing instead of backend? Security wise I would say backend is more secure than frontend? Why? I develop many websites where there is no frontend login necessary/available. Now you need to enable it. I could be that I am missing something, but please help me understand.

I see many advantages of SPPB4 but also some disadvantages. Some of the disadvantages has to do with the new way of working flow with SPPB4. People needs to get familiar with it. YEs, it is more complex, on the other hand as you get familiar to it, it is workable. It is just like an update for Outlook 2010 to 2019. It is doing the same, only buttons and workflow is little bit different. It is normal that human stays in their normal comfort zone, but that will stop improvement. Tip for all people keep openminded.

To be get more confidence in your product it would be nice if you could answer the three questions above.

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 weeks ago

@dolmenhir

Still form download section, just scroll down a little bit. But If you already started editing Pages with SPPB 4.0.x I strongly recommend recover database (from backup) after you will reinstall with SPPB 3.8 package. Otherwise some pages can be broken! And please do not tell me that you don't have backup! Maybe at least hosting company have it, as they should.

@Ginius

We explained most of those quesion in blog post few months ago, but in a big short:

1. Next two years SPPB 3.x will supported, with component updates!
  2. By now yes, but who knows what the future wil bring, I also miss back-end editor.
  3. Look for example at WordPress and others popular online webbuilders, they have only one editor view, not two as we have for long time. Security aspects they are too complex to simplify them in a few sentences.

Just keep SPPB 3.8 by now, and wait with SPPB 4.0 upgrade. Time and patience are all we need right now. As we all know from history childhood problems have every software, cars as well as weapons.

K
kweb
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago
  • Next two years SPPB 3.x will supported*

I am already waiting 6 days for a reply in my support tickets for SPPB3 - where is the support?

Look for example at WordPress trends, they have only one editor view, not two as we have for long time. Security aspects they are too complex to simplify them in a few sentences.

That was the reason for me NOT to switch to wordpress till today.

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 weeks ago

@kweb, can you share link, I cannot find your ticket. I will take a look.

G
Ginius
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

@paul “Look for example at WordPress and others popular online webbuilders, they have only one editor view, not two as we have for long time.”

Very strange to make a comparison with Wordpress. Both CMS are different build. Just the fact that Joomla separate the front-end and the back-end is more security proof. I will not say that Wordpress is unsecure but find it wrong to make here a comparison. I read between the lines that JoomShaper prefer more WordPress, and have the feeling try to make more a uniform product for Joomla as well Wordpress. Please I hope that will not be the case. That is a real bad decision. Please don’t invent you own way of implementing Joomla Components without the use of MVC. At the end you will lose Joomla users.

“Security aspects they are too complex to simplify them in a few sentences.” What do you mean by that? To complex to explain? Still I, and others, like to know it. Especially for maintenance and security reasons. Some of my clients request that. One of the meaning of Opensource if open communication about how things works. Especely when there is a securety branche, we need to know it.

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 weeks ago

Forum is not a Book (I also written one about that topic) or Magazine article to write about CMS security aspects. In general you have to login to Joomla core as user to edit anything, right. So it's strong/secured as long Joomla is - in a big shortcut.

About missing back-end editor as I said before, I also miss it, but it depends on the decision at the top. We already informed CEO about users preferences/feedback, and now we all have to wait for decisions.

From a practical point of view it's better to have ONE useful editor not two, like in any software or web creator.
Can we forgot about WP example for a moment. Becuase I can give you 10+ more popular examples.

G
Ginius
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

@paul

Thanks.

"Forum is not a Book" I totaly agree, but handsum to place a linkmwhere to find.

"From a practical point of view it's better to have ONE useful editor not two, like in any software or web creator." I also agree. From Joomla perspective it need indeed the, so missing, backend editor in SPPB4.

I want topoint out to eceryone that the new features of SPPB4 are great. Please play with it, get familair with it.

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 weeks ago

I can recommed books written in my native langauge. But they will not help you.

Yes, I hope soon we will dissus in Joomshaper team Admin editor topic.

SG
Stefan Gros
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

I just downgraded to SPP3x. I hope at least bugfixing will bei continued.

MR
Michel Rodriguez
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

Version 4.0.4 is crap. I need backend editing.. I hate it!

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 weeks ago

Michel , from this same download section as you can download all extensions, just search on the list.

But if you already edited some pages thru SPPB 4.0.x I strongly recommend to recover website from backup, simple reinstallation with older version may not help! I wrote about that here, look up, 4 day ago.

In big shortcut, we wanted to have only one editor view.

MR
Michel Rodriguez
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your fast response. Found the download - thanks! If this is your way, you will probably lose most of your customers. I will not do the horrible editing to myself....

K
kusy
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

I have used front end editor only for interactions, and i hated it. Now i can't use bakcend editor. Sad. Give backend editor back, and I would like to work in one tab not to open hundreds of it when I go back to the admin panel...

G
Ginius
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

@kusy,

We all missing the backend editor. Today I worked with the frontend editor and when you get knowing it you will see more adtvantage the desadvatage of it.

I would be nice and helful when you explane why you hating it. I could be that what you want is there, bu you don't know how to work with it.

I did a lot of migration/adation projects and what I learned about it that people stick to their old behavoir. Sometmes you need to take some time to learn it. I know al of us are in a rush and don't take time to lear it. But remeber, walking, cycling and car driving you alse needed to learn.

Smaal call to all: if you hate SPPB4, be so kind not to tell only why you hate it, but also what you hate about it and what problem you are facing. Only then we can see if it is somithing missing in the program, mebey the workflow is not optimal or wrong, or mebey the function you looking for is place on a different location in the program.

So let's work together and make thing better. BTW,m I'm not an employee of JoomShaper, but a early Joomla adaptor.

H
Haluk
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

Just to add my voice to this discontent – version 4 is a huge mistake in terms of user interface; plus almost nothing works. I wish the efforts went into fixing the bugs and much asked features for Helix Ultimate template instead of tweaking the user interface, so far, it seems, majority of people finding very frustrating. New version Helix is equally frustrating. I am actively looking for alternatives for both.

MR
Michel Rodriguez
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

@Ginius

Thank you for your contribution. You are of course right about the change of habits. Nevertheless, the way of processing is suboptimal for me.

Imagine if PHP, or to stay close to the example "CSS", no longer existed in "code form" but only as a visual editor. I'd argue you'd be 100x more inefficient. This is exactly how it is for me with the frontend editor in SPPB4. What is also cumbersome for me is editing different layers. The visuals are much more inconvenient than just having the block to edit.

Also the complete structure of the page structure. Without a frontend editor, it's much easier to assemble the grid. When defining the grid I don't need to see the visual design. When creating the page it is much more efficient to have the abstract view. I then see the result at the end. Just like with PHP or CSS or whatever....

This was for me one of the great strengths of SPPB, which has now been taken away

G
Ginius
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

@Michel Rodriguez

If I understand you right, if there was a button where you can disable the visible elements and on see the block outlines you could focus better. Is that what you are missing?

Hve you seen the layers part in the Frontend Editor? It is helpfull for me. There it wold be nice if you could say show only the block structure on the page.

https://www.screencast.com/t/sMVr1wDz0Q

K
kusy
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

@Ginius, english is not my strong site , that's why I didn't write more, but I think @Michel Rodriguez wrote exactly what I think.

Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

Hi All. My five cents ...

Personally, I prefer to work in frontend editor. I agree that the setting there is too bulky. But I mainly use CSS, but not settings, which significantly accelerates the work and allows you to get global control. Therefore, I have no problem with using frontend editor.

But there is one important BUT. In SPPB 3, we often encounter the problem of the frontend conflict with third -party extensions. And the backend is insurance for us. Therefore, there is a question, how resistant to the conflicts the frontend editor in SPPB 4? If the conflict is happening, we will not be able to fix anything, since the backend does not exist.

And additional (I already wrote about it). It would be great if the value of the CSS Class field will added to the general addon wrapper too. I understand that this can cause a conflict when using Custom CSS field. To avoid this, a suffix can be used in the addon wrapper.

For example, ... class="sppb-addon-wrapper custom-class-wrapper" ...

dolmenhir
dolmenhir
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

Hi all,

The lack of backend edition is a major problem because when you have a malfunction with the frontend edition, for example for compatibility problems with another extension, then you have no alternative, unlike SPBB 3. Moreover, when you are a web designer, you have technical skills and you master your tools and your working environment, then you work much faster with backend editing; it was true with SPPB 3 and it is even more true with SPPB 4 which presents a slow and cumbersome interface (and no, my computer is very powerful).

Joomla is not Wordpress and the profile of Joomla users is more technical than that of Wordpress users (so do a survey of your SPPB customers). SPPB is primarily aimed at this type of user, for several reasons, primarily financial, because it is not someone who makes a personal website or the website of an association or a micro-enterprise who will buy the extension. Nope ; Personally, I have my own web agency and dozens of sites to manage in addition to those I create. I've been using SPPB for years, but I'm not going to keep paying for an agency license for a tool that no longer meets my needs.

And I'm not even talking about my clients that I trained in the use of frontend editing and that I will have to train once again on a version whose quality of ergonomics is very questionable with a scattering of the management of addons and sections functionalities. I am a technician, not my customers. They have more important things to do than spend hours relearning how a new version of SPPB works.

I don't know what Joomshaper's long term strategy is. But if you are thinking of making a tool like "Elementor", thinking it will be easier to conquer a more abundant market than that of Joomla, then you have misanalyzed the situation. Joomla users, with a more technical profile than Wordpress users, will turn away from SPPB for other solutions more suited to their way of working. You will lose customers, me first. And you won't be able to compensate for this loss with customers coming from Wordpress, because competing solutions like "Elementor" are very well established and notorious in the Wordpress universe.

Until today, I have always staunchly defended SPPB compared to other solutions. But I will have neither complex nor remorse to make the prerogative of another extension that I will have decided to use instead of SPPB. And, in all modesty, with my experience and my notoriety in my Joomla community, my arguments rarely leave others unmoved.

MR
Michel Rodriguez
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

@dolmenhir Thank you!

@Ginius Yes, there is a layer button as you described. But it's not the same abstract view it used to be. I agree with dolmenhir on all counts. I don't want an "elementor" editor like Wordpress.

Sure, it may be that the frontend editor is now better itself and for some end users, that may be very helpful. Usually I create the pages in the backend and the customers then edit it in the frontend, that will certainly work better now (I guess...).

However, I won't want to create pages this way anymore. I need this abstract GRID view. If it would be possible to switch to "classic-mode" in the frontend, that would be awesome! Like in the template editing view: https://prnt.sc/r1T4dzJCRw0U

K
kweb
Accepted Answer
2 weeks ago

@Paul: https://www.joomshaper.com/forum/question/16912

Waiting another 2 weeks now..

George Komnakos
George Komnakos
Accepted Answer
1 week ago

Greetings from me too, Sir! I intended not to join the forum again, nor ask anyone for information. But I have found both from my own work and from my communication with other people that your introductory remark is probably very correct.

Especially after upgrading CMS Joomla to version 4 and above, we experience unacceptable situations regarding the functionality of websites and their extensions when we try to install new upgrades. Unfortunately, we have ended up spending an unacceptable amount of time constantly fixing code problems and software incompatibilities that we have even paid for.

After quietly, patiently but angrily spending and spending many working hours to correct or mitigate problems for which we have no responsibility for their appearance, suddenly we are again faced with new unpleasant situations with supposed new upgrades or so-called software improvements. I'm -unfortunately- located in Greece and I had painstakingly managed to fix problematic sites back up to SP Page Builder 3.8.8, but SPPB 4 onwards crippled them again. In fact, one of them is a new website I built for a business of my own and I decided not to publish it on the date I had planned. Luckily, I had backups. With the new SPPB 4 versions we have to relearn the new interface and furthermore, for example the frontend layout is broken, sites are responding slower, built-in extension functionalities are broken, SEO features are degraded and they have to be rebuilt and various other problems that I'm too tired to mention.

I don't know if we are that unlucky. We're sick of trying to roll back functionality, digging through countless code files, checking PHP or CSS or JS or whatever. Instead of worrying about security, proper coding, or SEO for example, we've come to pray that what we've built so far isn't destroyed by upgrades. I have been very disappointed with this particular CMS and its extensions environment. Nor would I like to tell you what I have experienced. Eventually, we gradually decided not to depend on anyone and make everything ourselves. This takes a lot of time, but at least we know what's going into what we're making. I don't know if, how and when SPPB with its integrations and new versions after 4.0.0 will be able to function again on our sites which were fine until version 3.8.8, but so far for us it is not useful.

We hope that the relevant developers will soon be able to make SPPB 4 functionally integrated into our previous sites again, as it was until the latest version SPPB 3. But until then, we can only agree with you completely.

Thank you in advance for your time.

AlB
AlB
Accepted Answer
1 week ago

I am also very disappointed about the SP page builder. Your product is why I still use Joomla, and now I am looking into going back to WordPress due to the new interface, the quality of the last four templates, and the lack of good documentation. I upgraded 3 of my sites, and I had to downgrade because it was just a horrible user experience for the client and myself. Love your products but this is a suprise after using them since the begining.

George Komnakos
George Komnakos
Accepted Answer
1 week ago

Hello AlB. I think, it seems that more and more people are becoming more and more dissatisfied with Joomla and its extension environment after version 4.

It doesn't matter if you are a developer or an amateur to want to create something with pleasure and reliability. You are right about your unpleasant experiences. We here never give a client software if we haven't tested it to such an extent that you can't bear to see it in front of you.

If a customer who has requirements from you, gets a product that is problematic, he is not interested in knowing specific details because he is not paying you for it, but for the software. Everything should work as expected. That's why we are the ones who suffer until we deliver a complete and functional product.

Personally, I'm moving away from any CMS. This road is very difficult especially when you have to integrate security features into your site. But you are independent of such troublesome changes. Even in Joomla I think I made a mistake choosing to use frameworks or any page builder. The core of Joomla is enough to make something beautiful, but you have to program code and especially PHP or servers do not forgive mistakes.

Be patient and keep up the good work.

A
Allen
Accepted Answer
1 week ago

FWIW, I tried SPPB4.01, 4.04, and 4.05 - always going back to 3.8.8 in between. Regardless, every version of 4.x we've tried immediately broke the simple feature box animations on the home page right away. I didn't even test it further before reverting to 3.8.8.

I posted the issue for assistance. No resolution. https://www.joomshaper.com/forum/question/17682.

My observation for Joomshaper: I'll take trouble-free reliability over sexy look any day of the week. From all that I've read in this and other posts, Joomshaper is reaching beyond its grasp in trying to advance. You're releasing alpha products as stabile releases. Our site is not a hobby site. If it goes down, we lose money by the minute. I can't afford to be a beta-testing lab rat.