Dashboard Intermittently Inactive/unavailable... - Question | JoomShaper

Dashboard Intermittently Inactive/unavailable...

BP

Bruce Paine

SP Page Builder 1 year ago

Website www.comfoot.co.nz Recent fresh install of Page Builder Pro version 4

I've already posted about this problem but feel it's serious enough to deserve another comment.

There is an intermittent fault occuring with my installation of Page Builder Pro. Sometimes - as is currently the case - when I log in to the back end as superuser and try to edit or add SPBP pages, instead of the editing screen (or dashboard) I end up viewing the front end home page.

During the time it's taken to type this forum post, all of a sudden Page Builder Pro is back in action. I can now open the dashboard, edit pages, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Is it a memory issue? I've set PHP maximum memory to 256mb.

At least I know now that if the problem happens again, I just need to wait 5 to 15 minutes for it to fix itself. But it is far from ideal.

Any thoughts?

39 Answers
Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #101156

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting us. Sorry for the inconvenience. Will you please provide me the Joomla administrator access to check the issue? I will check & get back to you soon. 

-Thanks

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #101164

Hi - Actually this is mentioned in another post and another of your customers is experiencing the same behaviour. So it is not unique to my site.

Sharing admin access is not possible because access is restricted to specific IP addresses.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #101165
Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #101271

Is it possible to share a screencast video about the full scenario?

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #101356

The problem is the random behaviour makes it difficult to provide a screencast video. I have tried it just now and everything is working perfectly.

Another point is there isn't really anything unusual to see - e.g. no error messages - except that all I see when I try to edit a page is my web site's home page, without any Page Builder controls visible. And the home page works like it would when a visitor browses.

I'll see if I can capture the problem in action, or perhaps another Page Builder user will?

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #101358

I wonder if it might be a host server issue. For example, if the server is overloaded for some reason and cannot respond to all requests, something like that? I'm not an expert in web servers but it seems possible. Perhaps there was maintenance being carried out over the New Year break while I was trying to modify my site. However, I was in contact with the hosting company who made no comment about any work being carried out. So it's just an unproven theory.

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #101565

If you found the problem again, Please capture an screencast video. Cause, I need to know the exact issue. Thanks

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #101683

OK I have it at last.

Hope you can view this video. I have saved it on Vimeo but was unable to find any instructions about posting screencast video here. This seems to work...

!(https://vimeo.com/790630362)

As you will see, everything is happening as I have described but this time there was also a 404 error encountered. I was not expecting to see it. It has not happened before.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102024

Hey - I was worried this morning. Having to make an urgent change to the web site, I was unable to open the relevant Page Builder page. There was the same 404 error message.

Thankfully I kept trying and the system eventually started to work properly again, and without the error message.

I still think SP Page Builder is a great product but this experience has me concerned about its reliability. What happens when I need to make an urgent change for my customer and am unable to when this sort of thing is happening?

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #102144

I think this issue is not happening for our product problem. Cause, A large scale user used this product without having this type of issue. I think this issue happens for the third party extensions. Thanks

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102247

OK, just so that I properly understand your explanation, are you saying that my web site has another third party extension which is causing the problem? The third party extensions installed on my web site are SmartSlider 3, Custom Properties (allows detailed categorising of articles), Editor JCE, SP Page Builder and the Helix Ultimate template. Why doesn't SP Page Builder report if there is a problem, for example show a meaningful error message?
Otherwise I and other users are in the dark, wondering what is happening.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102252

For your information, I have located the cPanel Filemanager Logs folder and identified the 404 Errors which occurred on 19th January 2023 and which refer to the SP Page Builder component. Does this still look like a third party extension is the cause of the 404 error?

404 errors - Comfoot log file

19 Jan 2023

[19/Jan/2023:13:40:43 +1300] GET /index.php/component/sppagebuilder/edit/31?extension=mod_sppagebuilder&extension_view=module HTTP/1.1
404 1564 https://www.comfoot.co.nz/administrator/index.php?option=com_modules&view=module&layout=edit&id=218&client_id=

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/109.0

[19/Jan/2023:13:41:02 +1300]
GET /index.php/component/sppagebuilder/edit/33?extension=mod_sppagebuilder&extension_view=module HTTP/1.1 404 1564 https://www.comfoot.co.nz/administrator/index.php?option=com_modules&view=module&layout=edit&id=220&client_id=

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/109.0

[19/Jan/2023:13:41:02 +1300]
GET /templates/shaper_helixultimate/css/presets/%7B HTTP/1.1 404 1564

https://www.comfoot.co.nz/index.php/component/sppagebuilder/edit/33?extension=mod_sppagebuilder&extension_view=module

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #102454

Will you please provide me the Joomla administrator access to check the issue?

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102459

For security reasons, login access is restricted to specific IP addresses. If you can give me your public IP address I can allow it access. Otherwise I'll have to open access to all IP addresses which is not best.

I can create a temporary super user login for you. I'd rather do that than share the main admin account.

Our different time zones might be a problem. I hope you receive my reply soon.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102463

Here's the super user account login.

Can you send me your public IP address?

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #102465
BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102466

Did you see my request for your public IP address?

If you can't supply one, I will open access to all IPs. When you've finished investigating, please let me know.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102467

OK - to save time I have removed the IP block. Please let me know when you have finished looking.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102469

Apologies, I have forgotten about another level of security. I need to find out the access credentials.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102471

Here are the first layer security credentials.

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #102475

Thanks for your cooperation. I just checked your issue. But, No problem was found. Please watch the video.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102476

OK, that is very good but as I have already mentioned, this is an intermittent problem. I emphasise the word 'intermittent'. You cannot easily debug a problem that only appears now and then. By 'now and then' I mean it might be working perfectly for half an hour, then suddenly not working.

It is hard to predict when the problem will appear. You know this because I had to wait some time before I could make my screen cast to demonstrate to you.

Believe me, for a time I thought the problem had fixed itself. Then it happened again unexpectedly.

I'm not sure what else I can say.

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #102479

I think it doesn't work while your server down. What do you think?

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102483

I agree everything looks normal at the moment.

I've contacted my hosting company about the plugin difficulties but they have not admitted to any server issues. However, I suppose it is possible. Perhaps there is a temporary situation or bottle-neck that occurs on the server side. It is unfortunately out of my control but I can try to seek further advice from the server administrator.

At the moment, there's no urgency because I have finished adjusting the website. There will be new products and advertising material to be loaded in the next few months. That will give me a chance to work with the plugin again.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102485

I noticed that the 'About Us' Page has a blue padlock icon displayed next to it. Does that mean you still have the page open?

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102487

If you look at Global Checkin, you should see that the comf_sppagebuilder table needs to be checked in. Why is that?

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #102488

I noticed that the 'About Us' Page has a blue padlock icon displayed next to it. Does that mean you still have the page open?

Whereb exactly? Can you share an screenshot?

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #102489

If you look at Global Checkin, you should see that the comf_sppagebuilder table needs to be checked in. Why is that?

Check now.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102496

OK Global Checkin is clear now.

The 'About Us' page looks normal now.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102497

I saw the blue padlock on the Component, SP Page Builder Pro, Pages list - next to 'About Us'. It has gone now.

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #102499

okay

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102500

How much longer do you require superuser access? It is getting late here. I'm ready to close down soon.

I can leave access open for you longer, if you like. Perhaps overnight.

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #102836

I don't see the problem that you mentioned on your post. So, What should i do exactly? Thanks

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #102962

I have sent a support request to my web hosting company. I have explained the situation and asked if the web server was down on the 19th January - the date of my screencast video. I will let you know their reply as soon as it arrives.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #103020

Here is the response from my web hosting provider...

"Server was not down on that but some times it was overloaded and was slow. When you get the problem, try accessing host.netneedsnz.com, if you see that server page then serer is normal but not your site. Sometimes it may possible that your own site cause server overload as well."

This suggests that there are times when SP Page Builder Pro requires more resources than my host server is able to provide.

Possible solutions are therefore to move the site to a more robust server or to make Page Builder edits at off-peak times.

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #103249

You can try to check your site another hosting server. I hope you will not found the problem. Thanks

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #103586

Hi Chris and @Toufiq,

When first attempting to use SP Page Builder Pro, I created several posts, including this one...

Forum post

The issues discussed are the same. At last I have received a reply and the following comment is of interest...

"I know that SPPB 4 is still not perfect also becuase it doesn't have back-end editor but it will be added soon (few weeks). Then it will be easier for all webmaster to manage created pages as they done it in SPPB 3.x"

I'm not convinced there is a problem with my hosting company's server. My impression still is that the plugin has issues and this latest information confirms it.

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #103659

Hi Bruce, Okay, I thought that you have problem with front-end editor like most users complains. I read your answer from 2nd topic, now all is clear for me.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #103669

Thanks Paul. I have never used the front-end editor. There is just one user which is me as site administrator.