(shaper_fixter) Off Canvas: Sub Menu Icon Not Registering In Screenreader/voiceover. - Question | JoomShaper

(shaper_fixter) Off Canvas: Sub Menu Icon Not Registering In Screenreader/voiceover.

SA

Savicon AS

Helix Framework 2 years ago

When navigating the offcanvas menu with VoiceOver on iPhone, there is no indication of the existence of submenus or any interactive element to toggle the visibility of sub menu items (equivalent of the visual "+" icon). This is a major issue in terms of accessibility.

Has anyone run into this and found a way to fix it without breaking the visual appearance of the offcanvas menu?

7 Answers
Rashida Rahman
Rashida Rahman
Accepted Answer
Support Agent 2 years ago #26210

Hi there!

I have checked your video.

And yes, as Pavel says it relates to the Joomla core, but I will let know our team about it.

Best Regards

Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #26209

In general, this problem is not from the template, but from Joomla core (standart Menu Module). Therefore, I do not think that this is a question for a Joomshaper team.

SA
Savicon AS
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #26206

Rashida, you can download the requested video of the issue here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rozzin2yzjcm6d1/RPReplay_Final1627308427.m4v?dl=0

As you can see, activating the plus button doesn´t work as intended.

Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #26203

Hi. I just started to dive into the subject of accessibility. Therefore, I still do not know much. But, I think if you take a look at the Aria documentation, you will find the desired attributes for this. And then they can be added using the same code.

Perhaps still need something like aria-haspopup="true" and aria-expanded="false"

SA
Savicon AS
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #26196

Hi Pavel, thanks a bunch - this indeed lets ScreenReader recognize the button!

However, we are still just half the way there in terms of functionality. Having the button selected, the browser navigates to the parent page upon confirmation, instead of expanding the list of subpages in the menu, as it does when not using VoiceOver (intended behaviour). Any idea why this might be and/or how to fix it?

All the best

Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #26053

Has anyone run into this and found a way to fix it without breaking the visual appearance of the offcanvas menu?

Hi. You can try fix it via jQuery. Create custom.js file and place following code there.

This will add accessibility attributes to the menu-toggler button.

Rashida Rahman
Rashida Rahman
Accepted Answer
Support Agent 2 years ago #26050

Hi there!

Thanks for contacting us.

Would you please give me a video showing the whole issue, please?

It will help me to understand if I get you right or not.

Best Regards