OVERRIDES ARE BROKEN EVERYWHERE!!!!! - Question | JoomShaper

OVERRIDES ARE BROKEN EVERYWHERE!!!!!

M

MF

Helix Framework 2 years ago

I'm using Helix Ultimate, and after you voided template's normal override placement (templates/my_template/html), some person from your staff said that /plugins/system/helixultimate/overrides is the NEW place for layout overrides.

BUT EVERY UPDATE WIPES MY OVERRIDES THERE TOO!!

WHERE IS FUTURE-PROOF PLACE FOR MY OVERRIDE FILES?????

YOU'R TOTALLY BREAKING ANY COMMON SENSE AND JOOMLA RULES OF CODE WITH YOUR UPDATES!!!

10 Answers
Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #43587

...override.php ...com_content/category

Hi. When creating your own override COM_CONTENT / CATEGORY, with file name different from default.php you should also create its own menu item type. Did you not forget to do that? It is in the Joomla docs.

If you want create default.php override, you should use Helix override system. Previously, you could not do it at all without losing changes when the template is updated. Now you can. That's all that has changed.

Nothing has changed in the standard Joomla override system. Just added its own Helix overridency system for those things that was overrided in the Helix template from the box.

You just had to spend some time to understand how it works. Then you will see that it is the great feature.

JA
Jenni Armstrong
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #43566

This isn't true.

I've been trying to make a category content work for days. Your stuff is just broken. If i create an override.php in the html folder, the xml works, but it just uses the default.php and children in overrides. If i use the htmlOverride code in the html folder, the same thing happens.

You've basically made it so that there's no way to create a custom override for at least the com_content/category.

I have used your templates for a while, but this just isn't working like it's supposed to. Maybe you should quit overwriting the template/html folder like Joomla is written.

Ofi Khan
Ofi Khan
Accepted Answer
Support Agent 2 years ago #38315

Thanks for explaining beautifully, Pavel.

Yes, we do not have any intention to go against the normal behavior. We wanted to keep things simple and workable. Hopefully, you will understand, MF and Steve.

Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #38270

Hi @MF. If you read my post carefully, I'm not a member of the joomshaper team, but just a user.

As for the overrides of Helix - I will try again to explain. Nothing has changed with the standard override of Joomla. It was simply added that it was not possible - now you can override the already overriden in Helix from the box. If you do not need it, just do not use it. After all, before you did not use this, because it was not available and you did not have any problems.

On a specific example. Login Module has always been part of the Helix package and was in the HTML folder of overrides. If you was overriding this module in Helix Ultimate 1.x, keeping the same name (default.php), then when updating the template you was losing all changes. Now in Helix Ultimate 2.x you can override it without loss when updating the template. That's all that was added - improving user experience, but not replacing or breaking the standard Joomla features.

If you need to create override of Joomla core Login Module, сreate a new override by standard Joomla tools and just rename the new module's file in the standard HTML folder, for example as "mylogin.php". After that, this template will be allowed in the module settings.

S
Steve
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #38194

@Pavel I don't know who you think you are, but you're nobody to me.

M
MF
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #38188

@Pavel I wouldn't complain if information from your staff would be correct right from the start. I already tried (spent my time for already finished and paid project for customer, who WILL NOT PAY me for this work), editing and testing overrides, and they were WIPED again by your next update.

So, I assume that the system you're building over Joomla standards is not clear even for your own staff. And I'm just tired of trying more and more probable solutions that your staff offers. Maybe, one day, when I'll have some spare time to spend, I'd test what you offer here, but still - I'd have to spend my time without any rewards - quite grim business, don't you think? Does'n look so lucrative as yearly subscription model you making money from? Maybe some more respect to your paying customers, some more predictability in your products?

Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #38095

Hi @MF. Ofi did not focus on a very important explanation. Helix Override system was created only for already overridden files that are supplied in Helix from the box. Previously, you could not override these files without loss when updating the template, now you can. In the rest ofstairs, the standard Joomla Override system works as before.

@Stive has already received personally from me two answers explaining it. But it seems he does not read it either hides his stupidity for a bad character. I hope you not be like Stive. And you have enough sanity to understand and solved the problem of which does not exist.

Steve if you consider my words are not polite, then I am not an employee of the support and I can afford it. You allowed yourself much more in our posts. I would apologize in your place.

M
MF
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #38030

Best practice now is TO AVOID helix template/framework altogether and use any other barebone template from creators that have more common sense and more respect to customers and usrers.

S
Steve
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #38026

The WHOLE POINT of the HTML override folder was to avoid this. Stop pretending it wasn't designed that way in the FIRST PLACE. You didn't "FIX" a problem that you didn't already create.

YOU CHOOSE to ignore the proper use the HTML it in order to try to take over more of the system and then when you create a problem, you come up with a totally different soluition.

THIS IS ASSENINE.

I build JOOMLA websites, not JOOMSHAPER websites. You guys are a small part of what I do, and just like every other component publisher, you need to work with others, but you've opted to regularly do your own thing with no concern or care for what you screw up.

How many of the people who spend hours of their time writing and testing overrides are going to be happy about you doing this? Not even a ****ing apology. You made a decision that effects ALL of us that will require often significant amount s of effort on our part and you come back with these glib replies.

You've diverged from the standard Joomla Core operations. Period. You've hijacked it, no matter what you want to call it or how you want to sugar coat it, and in the process, your customers are the ones to pay the price.

Ofi Khan
Ofi Khan
Accepted Answer
Support Agent 2 years ago #35347

Hello MF

You can override your components or whatever inside the HTML folder as before. We've just introduced a new system of overriding for the users so that the user's changes don't lose after the template update.

For example, we've created a template named xyz. You are now using the template. But you want to change one of the overrides of the com_content's file.

Now normally what will you do? You go to templates/xyz/html/com_content/the_file_name.php file and change that file, right?

After a few weeks, we've released a new version of the template v2 and you've updated to the new version, and you've noticed that the changes you've made before have gone. This is not what you are desiring.

For solving this problem, we've introduced a new system. In the new system, you have to write the only line of code at templates/xyz/html/com_content/the_file_name.php is -

require HelixUltimate\Framework\Platform\HTMLOverride::loadTemplate(); and then go to templates/xyz/overrides/com_content/the_file_name.php and write your code there. And now if you update to the version v2 you will not lose your changes.

I hope, now you can understand the situation. Let me know if you have any further queries.

Best regards