Compile SCSS To CSS - Question | JoomShaper

Compile SCSS To CSS

Laurent

Laurent

Helix Framework 3 years ago

Hi,

I have a just a small question about Compile SCSS to CSS feature. Is it necessary to use it if I did some modifications inside custom.css file? is there any impact on website performances? Because description says this "Turn off this option if your site is in production mode." See here : http://prntscr.com/10yycsy

Thanks L.

14 Answers
Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
3 years ago #12587

Hi Laurent. You just need to understand what this option does and then you can easily determine when you need to enable or disable it. This option binds css to template settings. If you disable this then things like color settings and others will not work. It is assumed that when development is complete this option should be disabled as no further changes are required. This will also protect the site from accidental changes to the settings.

Ofi Khan
Ofi Khan
Accepted Answer
Support Agent 3 years ago #12277

Hello Laurent

It is recommended because when your site is in production. Because it converts sass code to CSS. When you are in production, turning it off will make your site load faster and you will be able to see the change.

Best regards

Laurent
Laurent
Accepted Answer
3 years ago #12282

OK so this option has to be enabled only during development mode/process?

Laurent
Laurent
Accepted Answer
3 years ago #12475

OK so this option has to be enabled only during development mode/process?

Ofi Khan
Ofi Khan
Accepted Answer
Support Agent 3 years ago #12514

Enable this option when your site is ready to be live.

Laurent
Laurent
Accepted Answer
3 years ago #12523

ok but the tool tip says this : "Turn off this option if your site is in production mode."

I'm so sorry but I don't understand nothing :

• template says to turn off in production/live mode
  • and you say the reverse

what's wrong?

Ofi Khan
Ofi Khan
Accepted Answer
Support Agent 3 years ago #12548

I am saying the same. Keep it off when your site is in production. Turn it on when your site is live.

Laurent
Laurent
Accepted Answer
3 years ago #12551

euhh for me, production and live are the same ;-)

• dev mode : the website is under development, non available for end users
  • live / production mode = the website is finished and published on the web and available for end users

so based on that, when scss option has to be turned on and off?

Laurent
Laurent
Accepted Answer
3 years ago #12590

ok I see, so :

• during development : option enabled
  • when site is finished : option disabled

last question : performances will be equal or better with option disabled?

Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
3 years ago #12604

I have not tested. But no one bothers you to check. I don't use template settings at all and this option is always disabled. Since it is not possible to use several template styles with different settings. Therefore, I prefer css coding.

Laurent
Laurent
Accepted Answer
3 years ago #12637

I understand perfectly, thank you again for your feedback and your advice. have a nice day L.

Laurent
Laurent
Accepted Answer
3 years ago #12640

@pavel : I don't understand when you say : "Since it is not possible to use several template styles with different settings"

I have tested to duplicate helix style and If assign style 1 to XX pages and style 2 to XX pages, I can set differents colors etc for each pages..so works fine. what's wrong?

Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
3 years ago #12650

Hi. The fact is that part of the settings are compiled inline in Head. These settings will work with different template styles on different pages. But why do you need an extra code in Head? It is bad for performance.

Another part of the settings is compiled from SCSS to template.css file. This file is the one for all template styles. Thus, it will only be the code of the template style that you saved the last.

As far as I understand, in HU 2.0 this problem will be solved. But not in the current HU.

Laurent
Laurent
Accepted Answer
3 years ago #12654

ok undertstood, thanks again ;-)