Creating Modules Fine But Confused By Component... - Question | JoomShaper

Creating Modules Fine But Confused By Component...

BP

Bruce Paine

SP Page Builder 1 year ago

site: comfoot.co.nz joomla 4 Page Builder 4

I am having good results creating SP Page Builder content using Modules. However, I have not been able to use the 'Add Page' and edit functions within the Component area itself.

When I try adding a page (or editing those test pages I've already created), I am always presented with the home page of my web site, with a boxed area entitled 'Start Creating a Page, the very last item on the page. The boxed area cannot be moved to a different position.

But what if I do not wish to add anything to my home page? I want to create contact under a different menu item, for example 'Contact Us' or 'Products and services'.

In the editor window I can see the website menu options. I can select any of the options. But the page does not change. It remains stuck on the home page.

What I want to know is whether or not this is normal or is the editor restricted to only work on the Home Page?

7 Answers
A
AMurray2017
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #100411

SPPB works with separate content to Joomla articles. So you can't open a Joomla article, as such with SPPB.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but once you create a page in SPPB, you link it like any other menu item through Joomla's menu manager.

You'd start with a new page, and add elements (addons) of SPPB to the page, such as a Contact Us web-form.

Also if it's easier for accessing the editor, create a menu item in the front-end of your site called "Editor" (or something like that). Given the menu item "Super user" permissions (or other, as relevent to your situation).

Log in to the front end of your site. Click that menu item. The SPPB interface will load, listing the pages, and give you the ability to create additional pages.

Is that what you were asking about or not being able to find?

Even so, when I lauch SPPB from the back-end it will load the same page list once I get past the "Get started" screen.

Not sure if I have addressed your question(s) but I would also recoommend you read the documentation. https://www.joomshaper.com/documentation

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #100414

Thank you for responding. It is late here and I've exhausted myself both physically and mentally trying to make progress. So please excuse me if I sound exasperated. (Incidentally I've just encountered another problem. They just keep piling up, or so it seems. Will post another question about that.)

All you describe sounds fine but the confusion I'm having is what I'm seeing when adding a new page. I expect to see an empty page - just like I do when working with a page builder linked module. If I 'Add page' from the component I see a page already populated with pre-existing home page content. If that's how it's meant to work, it is very confusing - or it is to me.

Also, I have been reading the documentation and while it has helped I'm not finding all the answers. Will keep looking - but not tonight!

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #100446

I would love to share some screen shots so that I can demonstrate what I've been experiencing with SP Page Builder Pro. But the image upload button on this forum doesn't make doing so easy.

That aside, further experimentation with the Page Builder component has lead to a revelation.

In the case of my web site at least, it isn't until you link a new Page with a new Menu Item that the page looks as it should. Until the menu item is created, the new page being worked on is surrounded by all the existing elements that make up the home page. That is what caused my confusion. It looked like I was making changes to the home page. But saving the page and checking the 'live' home page confirmed that it was not being affected.

I also followed the suggestion of activating the Page Builder dashboard via a front-end Menu item, logging in as superuser. Unfortunately this did not work as expected. Again the dashboard menu item simply opened the home page without displaying any of the controls; i.e. row and add-on options etc. I tried various things to make the dashboard appear, logging on and off several times to no avail. Who knows, perhaps it needs more time to activate itself. I might try it again later.

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #103569

Hi,

general advice is:

1. Upload screenshot(s) on your server and share link to file(s)
  2. OR record video with issue (can be with/without voice) and upload on youtube or your server and share links

It would be more useful than words according to popular quote.

I know that SPPB 4 is still not perfect also becuase it doesn't have back-end editor but it will be added soon (few weeks). Then it will be easier for all webmaster to manage created pages as they done it in SPPB 3.x

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #103585

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for your help. I actually figured out how to share a screen record video and shared it via a separate post.

The issues discussed are the same and I've received advice from one of your colleagues who recommended moving to a different host server. The thinking was that the current host server is struggling. It's a good theory but I'm not convinced. I've received advice from the hosting company that everything is fine. The server was operating well when the plugin issues appeared.

It's good to know that a new back-end editor is coming in the near future.

Thanks again, Bruce

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #103657

Hi Bruce,

indeed like with any advanced software - it can work perfect on one hosting settings and works horrible on 2nd hosting settings... crazy world.

BP
Bruce Paine
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #103666

Hi Paul,

Agreed that appears to be the case. Fortunately for me the Page Builder problems are intermittent and once resolved the plugin works well. It requires some patience to begin with.