Suggestion : Adding Language Switcher Option In Helix Based Templates - Question | JoomShaper

Suggestion : Adding Language Switcher Option In Helix Based Templates

TD

TOCHTERMANN DAMIEN

Template 2 months ago

Hi, I'm testing Crafty template and just thought ... why not adding a "enable / disable option" about Language switch in template settings ? Hope this could be added in next update :) Thanks

5 Answers
Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
2 months ago #150207

Hi. This is pointless, because for the "language switch" to work, first you must to configure the site for multi -language. Joomla has language switch module from the box that you can use.

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 months ago #150208

Hi Damien,

for testing (fun) puporses you can use GoogleTranslator module it request only install & publish (60sec) for typical Joomla multilingualism it request many extra steps necessary to run Joomla's built-in mechanisms.

So it's not possible by "on-off". I have to agree with Pavel.

R
Robert
Accepted Answer
2 months ago #150212

You have to configure a multi language website yourselve but what I always asked myself is why there is no place reserved for the switcher on the template header/top row. (see example) Lots of people create multi language websites.

Now the best place for a language switscher is to use 'top bar', 'social icons' or 'contact info'. Or create your own new 'top bar' in the 'layout'.

https://ibb.co/xqwr421

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 months ago #150213

OK, now I understand the concept.

By now you have to consider using "menu" module position.

R
Robert
Accepted Answer
2 months ago #150214

Correct,

I mix it up, sometimes I use one of the top bar positions, another time I use menu position (that requires some custom css to place it correct and give some more space around the switcher for a nicer look) or I create a new row with new module positions in template layout.

I can understand for people who create a multi language for the first time it takes some time to figure it out.

I think setting up a multi language site can give some confusion because it's done in Joomla Core/Template and not in SPPB.