J2Store Migration Tool is Pretty Much Useless - Question | JoomShaper

J2Store Migration Tool is Pretty Much Useless

swemmel

swemmel

EasyStore 1 month ago

Hi Guys,

Before you decide to develop something are you guys doing a kind of exploring the market??

My guess is that about 95% of the J2Store-users is still on Joomla 3. And you develop a Migration Tool that is only suitable for Joomla 4 / 5. So it is pretty much useless for most of us and I think a waste of developer-hours.

So here is my Question. When will it be possible to migrate our Joomla3/J2Store shops to EasyStore????

Kind regards, Peter

11 Answers
Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 month ago #152385

Hi Peter,

I understand your point of view but.... There is J2Store version for Joomla 4 since last year (Aug 2023, link below), so everyone could make upgrade during last few months, or pay someone else to do that for them.

Besides Joomla 3.10 is NOT SUPPORTED anymore (since Aug/Sep 2023), and legacy code takes time ($), would you extra pay for that? Also, I would not likely expect a version for the J3 in next weeks.

swemmel
swemmel
Accepted Answer
1 month ago #152391

Paul,

I know J3 is legacy and I know there is a J2Store version for J4. That version is far from perfect and lacks a lot of the plugins/extensions that were available for the J3 version. That is why most of the J2Store users are still stuck with Joomla 3. In my opinion this was THE chance to get a lot of J2Store users aboard of EasyStore. And this is not the first time that JoomShaper is missing the point. I still believe that JoomShaper dropped EasyStore way too early on the market without investigating what potential customers expect to be in a shopping-cart. And beside that I am seriously doubting the test-strategy of JoomShaper, seeing how many bugs are introduced with every upgrade. (I know what I am talking about, I am a certified software test engineer for over 15 years).

Kind regards, Peter

swemmel
swemmel
Accepted Answer
1 month ago #153682

By the way, your answer that legacy code takes time does not make any sense and is not valid. A conversion from J2Store (J3) to EasyStore is only a conversion of database (from the J2Store tables to the EasyStore tables in the correct format).

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 month ago #152398

But even with J2Store migration to EasyStore (regardless of Joomla version) you won't have that same plugins as you had in J2Store, right. So J3 version won't help with that. It focus only on products, related settings, customers, coupons.

swemmel
swemmel
Accepted Answer
1 month ago #152403

Hi Frank,

That is correct. But that was not my point. Point is that most J2Store users are stuck on Joomla3. And do not want to go to J2Store for J4. This is a big potential of customers for EasyStore. And I assume, that EasyStore will extend the functionality according to the wishes of the use-base of EasyStore. (If they don't EasyStore will die early).

I understand that you are trying to defend your employer. But I am not attacking your employer, I just put my comments to give them the possibility to grow and to professionalize things.

Atlas
Atlas
Accepted Answer
1 month ago #152613

Export Products and Categorys from EasyStore and Import to EasyStore would be fine.

CT
Chaka T.
Accepted Answer
1 month ago #153249

After the euphoria of the announcement, I quickly became disillusioned. you must first go through Joomla 4. which is not easy to achieve given that the version Joomla 4 from J2 store is far from 3. I will turn to Next Cart with whom I have done business in the past for this migration.

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 month ago #153755

I know it's about different software but ....

Windows 10 will reach the end of support on October 14, 2025, but you can extend support by paying an annual fee. Ahead of the deadline, Microsoft has shared details of Windows 10 extended updates, which may cost up to $61 for enterprises.

It means that legacy cost $$$.

Back to our topic, suppose there would be a migrator for Joomla 3.10 and what next? Would you stay with Joomla 3.10 for the next few months/year, or would you be forced to upgrade J3>J4 anyway? Unfortunately, the life of a webmaster is full of challenges.

swemmel
swemmel
Accepted Answer
1 month ago #153768

I think you do not get the point or you do not want to understand it. What we want is a migrationtool that migrates a J2Store-instance (on a Joomla3 website) directly into an EasyStore-instance on a Joomla4 website, without having to go from J2Store for J3 to J2Store for J4. How difficult it is to understand this? And in my opinion you do not have to migrate any code, just migrate the J2Store-tables into th EasyStore-tables and copy the pictures.

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 month ago #153790

Extra tip for Joomla 3.10 users - there are security updates (3.10.15), but cost 90€+tax (offcial Joomla)

j_3_10_15.png

would you paid for J2store migrator for J3.10? Simple question.

swemmel
swemmel
Accepted Answer
1 month ago #153853

Yes, I would