Taking Site Offline Breaks Site - Question | JoomShaper

Taking Site Offline Breaks Site

OJ

Oliver Johnson

Template 2 years ago

I've been having numerous problems with getting the login window to pop up on the Travelia template which I've posted in the forum but have gone unanswered.

I have though now seem to find the cause and it's when you take the site offline.

I installed the Travelia Quickstart on my live site and also recently on my xampp test server running as localhost.

I noticed at some point after making lots of alterations and adding content on the live site that when I clicked on the login icon (person icon) in the Top 2 module that nothing happened. I didn't get the pop up login window like you do on the demo. I also noticed that when I unplublished the Top Login module, the person icon remained visible when it should disappear.

I then installed the same quickstart on my xampp server and found that the login window would come up when clicked on. I spent days trying to work out why it was working on this localhost but not on my live site. Then this morning I've managed to replicate the problem on my localhost site.

If you take the site offline in Global Config, but now login to the front end using an admin account and then click on the login link in Top 2 nothing happens. If you now put the site back online, refresh the page, clear the cache, the link still doesn't work. What's more, if you unpublish the Top-Login module, the login icon is still visible on the front end.

Nothing I do makes it work again. I've tried clearing the site cache, clearing the browser cache, using different browsers, even different computers, it doesn't make a difference.

To prove this I even deleted the localhost site, re-installed a brand new installation into a new database and tested it. The login screen appears. Take the site offline and put it back online, the login screen is broken.

Whether this is a template issue, a Helix issue, a server issue I don't know but it's most definitely an issue!

9 Answers
Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 years ago #39479

I think you want logout menu after login. I have added logout menu after login. Please check. Thanks

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 years ago #39336

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting us. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you use the login module top2 different section then it will not work. Please check the existing layout.

https://prnt.sc/1wygrio

-Thanks

OJ
Oliver Johnson
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #39369

Apologies, I'm not sure I understand your answer. "If you use the login module top2 different section"

The login module is in top2. It's like that on the Quickstart installer. I'm not moving it to another section.

Since I posted this though I have found what triggers this to happen and you can replicate it at will.

1. Log into adminstrator and go to Global Config.
  2. Set the site to Offline
  3. Click on View Site
  4. Login on the front end to view the site
  5. Click on the login icon. Nothing will happen which is to be expected when the site is offline
  6. Keep yourself logged in on the front end
  7. Go back to Global Config and set the site back to online
  8. Switch back to the front end and refresh the page
  9. Now click on the login icon. Nothing will happen. The login window should now appear with the site online but it doesn't
  10. Go back to administrator and unpublish the login module
  11. Go back to the front end and refresh the page. The login icon should disappear but it doesn't

The only way to now fix the site is by adding a logout menu item to the front end and clicking on it. Only by logging out (and republising the login module) will it work again.

I don't know whether this is a template issue, a helix issue or a Joomla issue.

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 years ago #39432

Please check now and let me know. Thanks

OJ
Oliver Johnson
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #39434

Hi, it's pretty much the same. The only difference is that whilst the site is offline you do get a Login menu item appear when you click on the login icon.

However, if you put the site back online again it doesn't revert back to the proper login form. As before, to fix this you have to log out of the front end before it will work properly again.

It's not a big issue as it only occurs when someone is logged in and the site goes offline and back online again, so not an every day occurance ;) It did though have me stumped for days whilst I was developing the site!

As I say, I don't know if this is a template or Helix issue or whether it's a Joomla issue in how it handles cookies and user sessions. I'm not clever enough to understand these things. If it's not a template or helix issue then obviously it's not your problem.

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 years ago #39443

Please share a screencast video about the full scenario. Thanks

OJ
Oliver Johnson
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #39472

I've created one in the hidden content below

OJ
Oliver Johnson
Accepted Answer
2 years ago #39493

Thank you, yes that is better. Still odd that Joomla can recognise that a site has been set to offline whilst a user is logged in but can't recognise when it's been set back to online. But I guess that's just how Joomla works.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 2 years ago #39506

You are most welcome & Thanks