Downgrade From Pagebuilder V4 To V3 - Question | JoomShaper

Downgrade From Pagebuilder V4 To V3

Nasir Khan

Nasir Khan

SP Page Builder 1 year ago

I upgraded to Joomla 4 and upgraded the Page Builder to v4.0.5.

I found a number of issues with this version and reported a bug which is breaking a number of pages of my site. v3. * is a great product but v4 is not not production ready at all. The frontend editor is buggy and do not have all the features it used to have in v3. Moreover my chrome is crashing showing out of memory!

I tried to install the v3 again after upgrading to v4 but the page sections are not showing in v3, so I had to install the v4 again.

So please help me to downgrade to v3 and continue useing the page builder again!

7 Answers
Nasir Khan
Nasir Khan
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #86465

Thanks Elliott, Thanks for your advice. Clearing cache did not fixed my issue.

v4 frontend editor is not in a usable state right now, it is crashing my chrome tab very frequently. Backend only v4 is absolutely bad plan. Frontend is slow and takes more time to work on pages. Those who knows how to work, not necessary to see everything visually. Backend and frontend are different things in an application and they are for two different user groups. Depending their roadmap it is confirmed that they will continue with the Frontend users only!

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #86187

Hi Nasir.

As always, use full website backup. It's the most trusted method. If somehow you forgot to make backup, ask your hosting provider they should have.

Remember to delete this folder before website recover from backup files. components\com_sppagebuilder becuase it contains SPPB 4.x files not needed in SPPB 3.x

BTW

You can use at least database backup, but first delete mentioned folder and reinstall SPPB with 3.8.

A
Allen
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #86222

I uninstalled the SPPB 4.x plugin, and then re-installed 3.8.8. Everything working well so far. Probably I'm just lucky.

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #86224

If you edited only one page, yes, lucky you.

A
Allen
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #86232

Actually, I've edited many pages with 3.8.8 since reverting - with no problems that I can find.

But I only edited a single page with 4.x prior to reverting the first time with 4.01. Nothing else has ever been edited by 4.x since. As I tried out 4.04 and 4.05, I simply installed, viewed, deleted the plugin, and reinstalled 3.8.8 without editing anything.

Should I now delete components\com_sppagebuilder per above, and then reinstall 3.8.8 to avoid problems that might be waiting for me otherwise?

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #86273

Maybe not problems, but you do not need addons and menu view that you cannot use anyway in SPPB 3.8 made for SPPB 4.0 only.

E
elliott
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #86388

Hi Nasir,

I had the same issue and found that clearing cache fixed the issue. And for the love of Joomla, stay on v3. I am doing the same thing until I find replacement for SPPB because they aren't planning on bringing back the backend editor which makes this component useless to most developers.

If the staff read this, maybe you guys are aiming to get more end users by going the elementor's pathway but you forgot 1 thing though, most end users would follow their developers' advice. So, unless you win the heart of the dev, you don't have the heart of the end users. And right now I know for fact that many dev are having changed of heart and in search for a new component to serve their end users with. Just a reminder.

Thanks! Elliott