Aria Labels In Feature Boxes? - Question | JoomShaper

Aria Labels In Feature Boxes?

CS

Charles Southgate

SP Page Builder 1 month ago

I can see where to add an aria label on a standalone button, but not on the clickable elements (title, image and button) in a feature box.

Similarly, image overlay is clickable but there is nowhere to put an aria label.

Have I missed it or is it really not there?

If not available, what plans are there to add this?

10 Answers
Rashida Rahman
Rashida Rahman
Accepted Answer
Support Agent 1 month ago #150785

Hi there!

Thanks for sharing your observations.

Yes, they are not present in a feature box. I will convey your suggestion to the team.

Best Regards

CS
Charles Southgate
Accepted Answer
1 month ago #150792

Thanks for the fast response.

I think you are implying that there are currently no plans to add aria labels to feature boxes etc, but would you mind checking this and then confirming?

Edit: Maybe there is a way I can do this manually?

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 month ago #150819

Hi Charles,

1. There are plans to improve also that addon "Feature Box". But I don't yet know the implementation date of several changes.
  2. Yes, you can customize addon yourself if you're in a hurry and you have relevant php skills.

This can be useful: https://www.joomshaper.com/documentation/sp-page-builder/how-to-override-sp-builder-addons

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 month ago #150821

I only wonder what for you need aria-label for image, if image already has ALT field that is read by all readers for the visually impaired. I think TITLE would be more useful, for both SEO & Accessibility. And according to guides

info_2405_2024.jpg

The button also has text inside, this is not image or svg, but text button. Yet here we plan to add A-L.

"The aria-label attribute in HTML is used to provide an accessible name or label for an element that does not have an inherent label or that needs a more descriptive label than its content provides." - source: w3docs.com

So using aria-label for text Title - is art for art's sake, at least in my opinion.

Please tell me what for purposes you need so many aria-labels, what kind of website is it? It will be easier for us to discuss.

CS
Charles Southgate
Accepted Answer
1 month ago #151471

I have a site with lots of buttons and links on it!

Seriously, I use SPPB to create long form information pages and I use images and feature boxes quite extensively to break up the text.

Often I might have two rows of feature boxes (3 x 2 say) and they all highlight a different feature and link to a different part of the site.

I could put really long descriptiive text on the buttons, but that would not look good. What I want to do is to put short "find out more" text on the buttons and have aria labels behind them.

Since the images can be a hotlink to a new page or site, I wanted to be able to put the aria labels on these too.

All I am trying to do is to score well on Google Lighthouse

CS
Charles Southgate
Accepted Answer
1 month ago #151472

just to add:- https://www.hubspot.com/ has something very similar to feature boxes on its home page - look at all the buttons that say "Learn more".
The overall effect is cohesive, clean look but it is also SEO-friendly because they use Aria Labels

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 month ago #151498

Good news, In upcoming SPPB Update (next days) we already added aria-label for Button in Feature addon. I hope by now it should help.

info_2427_2024.jpg

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 month ago #151500

About example from hubspot.com - indeed smart idea. I wish you had mentioned this earlier. We will try to combine/implement it in Feature addon in April or May Update.

Added to wish-list already :)

About Images - however, I insist on using extra TITLE field, which is better for SEO than only Aria-label. However, we will see what the development team judges. Maybe both ;)

info_2431_2024.png

CS
Charles Southgate
Accepted Answer
1 month ago #151537

Thanks for the update. I really appreciate your responsiveness!

Paul Frankowski
Paul Frankowski
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 month ago #151546

This is me thanking you, for your suggestions.