Security Updates For EasyStore Pro Bundled With JoomShaper Templates - Question | JoomShaper

is live, now with multi-currency selling.

Security Updates For EasyStore Pro Bundled With JoomShaper Templates

Andreas

Andreas

EasyStore 1 week ago

Hi,

I would like to raise a concern regarding EasyStore Pro and security updates.

I build and maintain several Joomla websites for customers using JoomShaper templates/Quickstart packages. Some of these packages included EasyStore Pro as part of the template setup.

The problem occurs when a security update such as EasyStore 3.0.1 is released. The installed EasyStore Pro version originally came with the JoomShaper template, but downloading the updated Pro package now requires an All Access subscription.

I completely understand requiring an active subscription for new features, support and regular product updates. However, security updates are a different matter. In this case, vulnerabilities have been disclosed that affect older EasyStore versions, including a critical vulnerability.

This leaves websites originally built with an official JoomShaper Quickstart package running a vulnerable extension, while the developer maintaining the website may have no way to obtain the security fix without purchasing a different subscription plan.

Would it be possible to provide a security-only patch for existing EasyStore Pro installations? For example, a downloadable patch containing only the files required to fix the vulnerabilities, without providing access to new Pro features or the complete latest Pro package.

Alternatively, is there an officially supported way to update these installations to the secure EasyStore Free 3.0.1 version without losing existing products, configuration or functionality?

I think having a way to apply critical security fixes to EasyStore versions distributed with JoomShaper templates would be very helpful for developers maintaining customer websites.

Thanks!

0
3 Answers
Ofi Khan
Ofi Khan
Accepted Answer
Support Agent 1 week ago #234331

Hello Andreas,

Thank you for reaching out to our technical support forum. I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you’re experiencing.

To use EasyStore templates, you should take an All Access plan. Then you will get all future updates.

Best regards

0
Andreas
Andreas
Accepted Answer
1 week ago #234339

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it!

I just want to clarify that I’m not trying to get EasyStore Pro for free. I have been a paying JoomShaper Developer customer for many years and I’m very happy to pay for the products I use.

At the moment, however, I only have one customer actually using EasyStore, so upgrading my subscription to All Access just for EasyStore doesn’t really make financial sense for me yet. If I start using EasyStore for more customers in the future, that would of course be a different situation.

My concern is really about how EasyStore Pro is included with some templates/Quickstart packages. As a Developer subscriber, you can install one of these packages and build a customer website with EasyStore Pro included. It is then quite easy to end up with a Pro installation without realizing that you will not have access to future security updates for that component under the same subscription.

That is the part I think can be a little misleading. I completely understand requiring All Access for continued Pro development, new features and support. But when a critical security vulnerability is discovered in a Pro version that was originally supplied as part of an official JoomShaper template, the website owner still needs a way to secure that installation.

Perhaps security-only patches could be made available in these situations, or alternatively it could be made much clearer when installing a template containing EasyStore Pro that continued Pro updates require All Access.

Thanks again for your help. I mainly wanted to raise this because I think it could become an issue for other long-term JoomShaper customers as well.

0
Ofi Khan
Ofi Khan
Accepted Answer
Support Agent 1 week ago #234371

Thank you for taking the time to explain your concern in detail. I completely understand that you are raising a valid concern about security updates for Pro installations that originally came bundled with the quickstart package.

EasyStore is part of our current subscription structure, and continued Pro updates, including security fixes, are tied to an active plan that includes EasyStore. We need to apply this consistently to existing and new installations, regardless of whether Pro was initially obtained through a Quickstart package.

That said, I will share your feedback with the relevant team, particularly your suggestion about making the update requirements clearer when a template includes EasyStore. Your feedback about how this could affect other long-term customers is also helpful for us to consider.

Thanks again for raising this in such a constructive way. I really appreciate your understanding and your continued support of JoomShaper.

0