Custom 404 Page No Longer Working After Upgrade - Question | JoomShaper

Custom 404 Page No Longer Working After Upgrade

Karen Dunne

Karen Dunne

SP Page Builder 1 year ago

Hi, I recently updated SPPB to 3.8.7. Now an incorrect URL does not redirect to the 404 page. The 404 page does render as expected however, see https://mavendesignstudio.com/404

When a URL is not found, instead of rending the 404 page, the browser shows this text: "Default Layout file is not exists! Please goto to template manager and create a new layout first."

All steps are in place as described in this blog post: https://www.joomshaper.com/blog/create-a-custom-joomla-404-page-with-sp-page-builder#

What is causing this?

Thank you,

Karen

20 Answers
Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #75947

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting us. Sorry for the inconvenience. Will you please provide me the Joomla administrator access to check the issue? I will check & get back to you soon. 

-Thanks

Karen Dunne
Karen Dunne
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #75953

Thanks, Toufiq. Credentials have been added.

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #76051

Disable the 4SEO extension and check again. Thanks

Karen Dunne
Karen Dunne
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #76099

Hi Toufiq,

I see...disabling 4SEO allowed the redirect to the 404 page.

When 4SEO is enabled, the error message from an unknown URL says, "Default Layout file is not exists! Please goto to template manager and create a new layout first." What does this mean? There is already a template assigned to the 404 page.

What can be done to still have the 404 redirect work?

Thanks,

Karen

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #76177

If you disable the 4SEO extension, then your redirect 404 page will work. Thanks

Karen Dunne
Karen Dunne
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #76265

Yes, I understand that. But what to do in order to use 4SEO with Joomshaper?

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #76366

Contact your extension provider to make compatible with the Page Builder. Thanks

Karen Dunne
Karen Dunne
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #76767

Hi Toufiq,

I've been working with the developer of 4SEO, Yannick, to troubleshoot the issue between Joomshaper/Helix and 4SEO producing this error ""Default Layout file is not exists! Please goto to template manager and create a new layout first" when there is a 404 error.

We have done many tests and concluded that the issue is coming from Joomshaper/Helix template. Testing included deleting the error.php file from the template directory (templates/shaper_helixultimate). When that file is removed and 4SEO's 404 setting is not enabled, the default Joomla 404 page renders. The Joomshaper template displays the Joomla error file instead of its own error.php file, but it still blocks any further rendering.

But when 4SEO's error page is enabled, it renders the message, "Default Layout file is not exists! Please goto to template manager and create a new layout first." Our conclusion is that the Helix template error handling is taking over and breaking 4SEO error page handling.

4SEO's 404 rendering works normally with Cassopiea and all Joomla templates (and all template providers I can think of). Only JoomShaper has been causing this kind of trouble.

How can this be resolved please?

Thanks,

Karen

Karen Dunne
Karen Dunne
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #78412

Hi Toufiq,

Thanks,

Karen

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #78521

Did you changed or blocked administrator access?

Karen Dunne
Karen Dunne
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #78553

Please try again, I apologize, it had been disabled.

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #78732

I have checked your site on my server and it works fine.

Karen Dunne
Karen Dunne
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #78813

So then what?

Did you test it by enabling 4SEO's 404 page?

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #78912

I have shared the administrator access. Please check your end and let me know. Thanks

Karen Dunne
Karen Dunne
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #78977

I tested it on your server and it produces the same issue as described above. See screencast: https://www.loom.com/share/6206786d83344381a6ce46278f534519

When 4SEO's error page is enabled, it renders the message, "Default Layout file is not exists! Please goto to template manager and create a new layout first." Our conclusion is that the Helix template error handling is taking over and breaking 4SEO error page handling.

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #78981

I think 4SEO extension is not compatible with the 404 custom error page of Helix Ultimate. Thanks

Please check now. The 4SEO page is disabled.

Karen Dunne
Karen Dunne
Accepted Answer
1 year ago #78987

There's no need for me to check it when 4SEO's error page is disabled. That's was the whole point of the demonstration and this ticket.

Shouldn't Helix be compatible with it?

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #78992

I can add a feature request. But, Not sure developer team add or not. Thanks

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #78993
Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 1 year ago #84373

Developer team inform me it works fine. Please watch the video.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HAJHBeu_P4i8187fSOf7RYzH2mZp8r4X/view

-Thanks