Custom Fields Support With SP Page Builder 5 & Helix Framework (J4)? - Question | JoomShaper

Custom Fields Support With SP Page Builder 5 & Helix Framework (J4)?

Brad Thompson

Brad Thompson

SP Page Builder 9 months ago

Hello,

I want to utilize Joomla's custom fields for my website for the first time and wanted to know if this is compatible with SPB5 and Helix and if there are any tips and tricks I should be aware of?

The fields will be used with articles that act as product pages.

I want to control the formatting and where the custom fields are published on the page.

Will I have to make a custom add-on or override the template?

This core feature looks extremely powerful, allowing for all kinds of use cases and finding information quickly using advanced filters.

10 Answers
Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 8 months ago #125739

Hi there,

I appreciate you reaching out about the custom field with the Helix and Page Builder. I will discuss with our developer team and let you know.

-Thanks

Toufiq
Toufiq
Accepted Answer
Senior Staff 7 months ago #131284

We have plan to do it. But, Right now we are busy with another project. We need time. Thanks

Brad Thompson
Brad Thompson
Accepted Answer
8 months ago #125860

Hello Toufiq,

Thanks for looking into this.

Here's a video of my ultimate goal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvoebNVv07o of enabling this with SP Page Builder / Helix.

I know Custom Fields are a new feature with little exposure or proper documentation, however once learned about, they are an incredible feature that allows for extreme customization page content that can be used for multiple industries, and the filtering ability is incredible, helping a web user find exactly what they are looking for in a few clicks.

The problem is SP Page Builder pages is you can't apply custom fields, they have to be articles.

I'm playing with the Articles Integration, but there are some current limitations with that, specifically the ability for full-width and the header row. I'm looking into if I can modify it to look like a regular SPB page.

Ultimately, if SPB could make using Custom Fields easy, it would be a very signifcant value proposition to web developers to considering buying SPB Pro.

PhoenixGB
PhoenixGB
Accepted Answer
7 months ago #131148

Totally agree, take a look at Yootheme, they have it nailed.

Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
7 months ago #131304

Hi Brad.

The problem is SP Page Builder pages is you can't apply custom fields, they have to be articles.

This is expected, since the custom fields are intended only for Joomla com_content and com_contact coponents, but not for third -party components, which is SPPB (pages).

I'm playing with the Articles Integration, but there are some current limitations with that, specifically the ability for full-width and the header row. I'm looking into if I can modify it to look like a regular SPB page.

This is possible using CSS to prepare the article layout for full width.

Will I have to make a custom add-on or override the template?

A small change in Row HTML Addon will allow you to load the fields to the SPPB article with a standard shortcode. This for SPPB 3. In SPPB 5, I have not yet investigated this, since I do not use it because of the bugs. But I think it is similar there.

Brad Thompson
Brad Thompson
Accepted Answer
7 months ago #131306

Hi Pavel,

Thanks, yes, I've managed to get the article pages full width so they are almost indistinguishable from the pages. I've managed to make something truly awesome with articles and now with tag filtering have essentially created a shopping cart like experience, which is my goal.

It would be nice to break out the Custom Fields globally. Maybe Joomla 5 will have something enhancements for that.

They are so powerful to do so many things and customizations.

Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
7 months ago #131308

It would be nice to break out the Custom Fields globally. Maybe Joomla 5 will have something enhancements for that.

If you think about how it works, you will understand that it is not possible. Each component has its own fields. If you look at the components as Joomshopping, Hikashop, J2store and others, you will understand that they all have their own fields, which are essentially equivalent. Fields are part of a component but not part of Joomla core. They must be attached to something. Joomla developers would have to create fields for all components in the world, separately for everyone. What, obviously, they will not do

Brad Thompson
Brad Thompson
Accepted Answer
7 months ago #131309

or maybe JoomShaper clones or makes their own for the SPPB compoment.

Georg Klaißner
Georg Klaißner
Accepted Answer
1 month ago #153263

Hi Pavel

Fields are part of a component but not part of Joomla core

If I understand Brad Thompson correct, he means custom fields that are EXACTLY part of Joomla core. In Joomla core (4 & 5, but think was introduced already in 3), they are currently used in com_content and com_users only, which are basically nothing else than built in components. IMHO they are a really gr8 aproach for future flexibility and compatibility.

I actually ended up here via Google trying to find a way to manipulate the field type "category" in a custom addon to com_banners and not as used only for com_content (basically to manipulate the regular image carousel having banner images from a certain category rather than static image items) ... that another issue ... but wanted to give my 5cents to a possible enhancement I'ld love to see as SPPB-pro client ;)

you will understand that it is not possible

hehe ... as far as I know, this expression does not exist for Joomshaper developers ... PageBuilder wouldnt be where it is now ;)

Kind redards Georg

Pavel
Pavel
Accepted Answer
1 month ago #153286

Hi Georg.

custom fields that are EXACTLY part of Joomla core

Perhaps you did not quite understand correctly. Of course, custom fields are delivered with Joomla from the box but are not fields for everything in the world.

If this is more accurately formulated, then com_content is part of the Joomla core. And the article custom fields are part of com_content core, but not part of whole Joomla.

The same for other Joomla core components - com_contacts has its own custom fields, com_users has its own custom fields. And all these custom fields do not work within other components, for example, inside SP PB Page, which creates by com_sppagebuilder. For this, SP PB must have its own custom fields.

hehe ... as far as I know, this expression does not exist for Joomshaper developers ... PageBuilder wouldnt be where it is now ;)

I think you are too idealizing ;)