String Quickstart - Error After Error. Is There A Fix For This? - Question | JoomShaper

String Quickstart - Error After Error. Is There A Fix For This?

CW

Carrie M Wrigley

Template 2 months ago

Hi, I really liked the demo of the String template, and needed new band website. So I downloaded the QuickStart for that template, uploaded it to the File Manager of my host, and set up the database, Joomla, etc.

Was immediately cued by Administrator on the following:

1. My PHP was outdated (7.4). So, I updated it to 8.1. (when I updated to 8.2, which all my other Joomla sites are on, it crashed the entire site, and I had to reboot from my host's backup.)

2. I was alerted that there were extensions needing update. On the update screen appeared the message:

Warning Update: Could not open update site #27 "", URL: /extension.xml Before updating ensure that the update is compatible with your Joomla! installation. You are strongly advised to make a backup of your site's files and database before you start updating.

3. Since I needed to make a backup, I tried installing Akeeba Backup, which I use on all my other Joomla sites. But this basic program would never install - either from "Install from Web" or from a downloaded file. It kept generating this error, in all instances :

Warning JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL 42S21, 1060, Duplicate column name 'access' Extension installation aborted. Package Install: There was an error installing an extension: com_akeebabackup-core.zip

I tried and tried, but kept getting this same error, even after rolling back numerous times to my host's backup from yesterday when the QuickStart was first installed.

1. SPPB - The Dashboard also cued me that this was out of date and needed to be updated. So I clicked to update - the update failed, and said I needed to download the SPPB file directly. So I did that and --- KABOOM! -- the whole website basically blew up. Again I had to restore from my host's backup - multiple times, as installing the new SPPB produced an "unresolvable" error multiple times. Finally I deleted the native SPPB that came with the Quickstart, updated the Joomla to 4.3.3, and then tried to install the new SPPB file again. This time it worked - but only after multiple attempts and false starts.

2. Once my PHP, SPPB, and Joomla were finally updated, I thought maybe I was good to go. But still couldn't install Akeeba. I installed JCE Pro, with my download code, and set my editor preference to JCE. But, all articles and SPPB pages continued to display TinyMCE, not JCE (which I use constantly, on all my sites.) Also, on all the provided articles, a message appears saying

"Error: Unable to find a user with the ID: 309.

I am the only user listed in the site. Who the heck is ID: 309? and why can't I get JCE to display?

I've been fighting with this template package now for several hours. "Quick" start? So far, just one time-consuming error after another - even for the most basic kinds of functionalities. I built 2 sites in 2022 in Helix Ultimate, and those are still working great. But so far, this package has been buggy as can be.

Am I missing something here? Is there a better way?

Or, is this package just too old to be viable in 2024?

If so - why is it still being made available for download?

5 Answers
CW
Carrie M Wrigley
Accepted Answer
2 months ago #149092

After not hearing back from you for 11 hours - I deleted the entire Quickstart package, since it seemed so full of errors and conflicts. Replaced the site with a fresh Joomla 4.4 install - guess I'll try uploading Akeeba, SPPB, JCE, etc. there first, and then add the "String" template and module.

Or - is this template just too old to be practical now? I see there's a newer "Rythm" template - but I don't like the look or functionalities nearly as well. But now I'm nervous about "String" - especially now that Joomla 5 keeps knocking on the door.

Is this course a viable one, in this ever-updating Joomla environment? Or should I just give up on "String" altogether? Are we likely to see any more updates on "String", as Joomla 5 takes over? Or not? I really love the demo of that template - but want to be realistic about current and future conditions for this new Joomla website.

Advice please?

CW
Carrie M Wrigley
Accepted Answer
2 months ago #149609

5 days since my first post, and no response. Is there any actual support available here anymore?

In the meantime, tried uninstalling the Quickstart, rolling back to a prior backup from my host, and installing just the template. Tried String, then Rhythm, then Helix. Produced a bunch of PHp errors; wouldn't display changes I made in template options. Tried uninstalling, rolling back to another old backup. This time tried installing SPPB - the new update, as the system prompted me to update, but wouldn't do so from within the Admin. The time, got an error even installing SPPB.

I built Helix sites just fine before Joomla 4, and got good support in the process from Joomshaper. Now - templates and extensions won't even install, and support seems non-existant. Scared now to update Helix or SPPB even on my existing sites that have been working for several years.

Is anyone actually there to help??

Ofi Khan
Ofi Khan
Accepted Answer
Support Agent 2 months ago #149707

Hello Carrie M Wrigley

Apology for the delayed response. You can use Strings template up to PHP 8.0. Please do not go above this version. Please follow this article to install the Joomla 4 quickstart. However, I am not sure about your exact issue. Please share a screenshot of your issue to understand it better. Take a screenshot and share via any platform. For example: Lightshot or Imgur

On the article, go to publishing and select an user there. Then your article issue will be gone.

Best regards

CW
Carrie M Wrigley
Accepted Answer
2 months ago #149730

Hi Ofi. Yes, the 6-day delay has been distressing in the extreme.

In general, the Strings Quickstart had issue after issue. Conflicts with other core Joomla extensions (wouldn't even let me install Akeeba Backup or JCE Pro - crucial extensions I never start new sites without.) Unable to update even Joomla itself. PHP error messages all over the place, even after trying different PHP versions.

So after days of silence from Joomshaper, I finally abandoned ship, deleted the whole site, and tried a new Joomla install. There I first updated the PHP and Joomla, as prompted in the site, and installed Akeeba, JCE, and SPPB 5 first, manually. Then I installed the Strings template and Strings component. Which then produced more PHP conflicts and crashes. Unable to edit anything. A full disaster.

Also tried the Rythm template, which I don't like as well as Strings, but is newer. It didn't work either. Full days of work on all this lost. Massive confidence crusher - with still no word from Joomshaper support in the midst of it all. Went on the chat - and of course learned that they don't provide actual support there - and pointed me back here to the Forum - where long days go by without any response whatsoer.

Very different than when I started years ago with solid Joomshaper products, backed by excellent support.

So yesterday, I finally abandoned ship again, started with a 3rd fresh Joomla install, followed by PHP update, Akeeba, JCE Pro, SBBB5, and finally Helix Ultimate. For now, that combination seems to be working as expected, within the Joomla 4 / PHP 8.2 environment. But of course - having to build everything from scratch in Helix. I suppose I could try Rythm again in this environment, to save some steps. But, scared to do so, after nearly an entire week of frustrating, supportless crashes.

It has all left me frightened now to install Joomshaper products on anything. Obviously, technology marches on - with Joomla 4, the spectre of Joomla 5 lurking in the background, ever-updating PHP, etc. It's all a moving Soduku, between Joomla, PHP, all the various extensions - some of which seem to need higher PHP, some needing lower.

Hopefully in the end it will all work out. I've loved building Joomla sites for years, including with Helix and SPPB. Praying that this combination I've got going now stays solid.

I've got SPPB 3 installed and working on some of my older sites - those built with an earlier Helix and other templates (updated now to Joomla 4, with PHP 8.2) . Not sure if it's safe to upgrade to SPP5 in those environments - or not.

Is there any resource on your site that explains this whole PHP compatibility / incompatibility issue? With all my Joomla sites now - I'm feeling very insecure. I've relied on SPPB for years, and some of my most important sites are built with SPPB and Helix. Not sure now what it's safe to trust from Joomshaper, in this new environment of ever-transforming "updates" and ever-decreasing support.

Hoping you can shed some light on all this. Or at least, to take some steps in your products to save other customers the hassle I've just experienced.

Ofi Khan
Ofi Khan
Accepted Answer
Support Agent 2 months ago #149845

Apology for your experience. Please check the template page for the compatiblity of Joomla versions. Here, check your used template details page and check it. If it is compatible with Joomla 5, only then you can update your Joomla version.

I have tested Strings quicksart on Joomla 4 PHP 8.0. I have installed Akeeba and JCE without any issue. I am sharing an akeeba backup for you. Please check the backup in the hidden content and install on your server.

Helix Ultimate and SP Page Builder combo will not disappoint you. I can assure you that. These products are stable now. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience and support delays. But we will be always there for you.